What To Do?

1. READ jejune (naive and simplistic) views and advise; 2. CHUCKLE, agree, or disagree; 3. COMMENT without fear of retribution 4. KNOW that I appreciate readership!

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Crosswalks Have a Purpose!

As they would say on Monty Python's Flying Circus  . . . "Now for something completely different."  This article is not entirely about crosswalks, it's more about  . . . well, I'm not sure what it is about, maybe awareness.  But crosswalks really do have a purpose.  

When people cross the street without using a crosswalk, it can be irksome.  Why should you and I care? Because if a pedestrian gets hit by a driver, it costs time and money for everyone.  It's not as simple as you would think, the driver being responsible and the insurance company handling up on it.  You see, in May while I was out jogging, I utilized a crosswalk. I clearly had a walk symbol and traffic was at a complete stop.  All was fine except when some guy in a rush to get to the burbs decided to make a right turn on red while I was in the crosswalk. Fortunately, he did not completely run me over. And I do mean fortunately, because he was driving an SUV the size of a mini tanker. 

So did he get in trouble? No.  The guy was somewhat of a bully.  He did not render aid nor offer.  After I finally peeled myself off the roadway, and insisted that I needed to get checked out by medical personnel, he finally gave me his contact information.  After pulling those teeth while in a daze and probably shock, I just decided to let go and walk home.  I was tired of fighting.  Sad, that even though, according to the old driver's handbook, I was following all required duties of a pedestrian, that I still could not get any respect.   

$6,000 later, here I am.  I decided to allow things to just happen, and let it run its course through the proper channels.  I was not interested in suing, dealing with more lawyers (the driver is a lawyer), or getting my deposition taken.  It is just too small of a matter for a lawyer to take on because of expenses.  When it is all said and done, neither of us will end up on the plus side.  Only the insurance companies and the medical companies will be compensated, but very little will be left for time lost healing or dealing.

Which brings me to my other point, besides the importance of paying attention when driving near crosswalks, pay attention to who you vote for. How will their legislative record affect your life?  I know, I know . . . you don't have time to worry about that, nor do you care.  In fact, maybe you didn't even vote or you are just worried about the big picture and only vote in Presidential election years.  Consider this, your time is valuable.  If you have the right people working in Congress for you, then your time becomes even more valuable and not wasted.  Remember how I mentioned that hitting a pedestrian (just one small example) costs money?  That is money taken from your pocket, and not so much in my case, as in bigger matters.  For instance, what if the pedestrian is indigent?  I fortunately have the means to pay my medical bills and insurance premiums, but an indigent person does not.  So, we all pay later through taxes and higher premiums.

As the US Congress and many state legislatures start cranking up for the year, keep this in mind how you want to live your life.  For instance, what will affect your time, your bottom line, your happiness?  Is it how insurance companies handle claims, or pedestrian laws?  Maybe it's franchise taxes, and bank rates.  Maybe it is even as simple as living in freedom.

This is one of my favorite websites to check out, and where you can find your US Congressmen and women www.whitehouse.gov.  Also, for fun crazy articles check out the The Drudge Report, www.drudgereport.com.  

AND, if you are interested in where BIN LADEN is hiding out, check out the article link at my "articles you must read."

Carpe Diem!




No comments: