What To Do?

1. READ jejune (naive and simplistic) views and advise; 2. CHUCKLE, agree, or disagree; 3. COMMENT without fear of retribution 4. KNOW that I appreciate readership!

Monday, January 19, 2009

The Importance of History and the Cycles of Life!

I am writing this post on a National holiday, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.  Although MLK, Jr. was a co-founder of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in 1957, he became the front man.  Whatever the reason for his being pushed to the front, it provided us with a holiday.  So if you work for a bank or a court, congratulations, you got a day off.  I actually got a half day off.  I'm wondering what Columbus Day holds for me?  

All joking aside, we are on the eve of the inauguration of President-Elect Obama, one of the most historic times of our lives.  My brothers and I were all born in the 60's.  I was smack dab in the middle, 1965.  MLK had already marched in Washington D.C.; Kennedy had been slain; and I was entirely to young to understand the consequences that were to come from the Vietnam war.  So this event here and now rises to the level that no other event in my life can reach. 

Interestingly, many of you reading this blog are in my shoes as well.  Some a little bit older, some a little bit younger.  Maybe you were too young to understand why we fought in World War II or why Desert Storm was necessary (or not).  But I will wager a bet that you have a more lucid understanding of those historical events and the history that surrounds your life now.  And, as we age and live, patterns start to appear.

Why is this important?  Aside from lying about the house in your pajamas at noon on a national holiday playing Wii or watching A Family Guy marathon, we are making and recording history.  You may not think you are part of it, but if you are alive and breathing, you are definitely part of history.  I cannot thank Obama enough for indirectly providing me with material for my blog.  Nor can I thank MLK enough for giving me time off of work to relax and lounge in my underwear.  

As you unconsciously slide your slippers on the carpet and shock the crap out of yourself on the toaster at 2 pm during an episode of Dr. Phil, take a moment to envision what is going on around you.  Now realize that everything you do influences someone else, like your children, friends or co-workers.  Your resulting influence is carried away to influence others.  It creates history and the cycle of life.  

My grandmother will be 98 years old in May.  Her eyes have seen a lot, including 6 wars, the automobile revolution, the making of the airline industry, and of course historical events which are too numerous to mention here.  She recorded all of her travels around the world, and in doing so recorded history.  She does not store them on a computer and she shares them with everyone.  She taught me a lesson without uttering a word.  Go out, enjoy the world, record history and share.

Peace.
 

No comments: